Does your home have a basement? If so, it has a rim, or band, joist. This is the place where the basement ceiling framing and home siding intersect above the foundation wall. If you’re asking, “Should I insulate my rim joist?” the answer is yes!
Without the right insulation, the rim joist can be a significant source of heat loss and lead to higher energy bills. Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of insulating this area and your different options.
Benefits of Rim Joist Insulation
If you’re planning to add insulation around your home, make sure the band joist is among the locations you address. There are several benefits of boosting home insulation levels (including the rim joist). It helps:
- Lower energy bills: One of the most important features of an energy-efficient home is proper insulation. By keeping conditioned air inside where you want it, you end up maintaining a comfortable home more easily and at a lower expense.
- Improve comfort: If you have ever sat next to a drafty window, you appreciate how uncomfortable outdoor air infiltration can be. A well-insulated rim joist helps keep the basement at a comfortable, steady temperature on par with the rest of the house.
- Contribute to a healthier environment: Any time you cut back on energy consumption, you certainly save money, but you’re also doing your part for the environment! If a lower carbon footprint is your goal, insulation is a step in the right direction.
Two materials often used for insulating rim joists include:
- Spray foam: Professionals agree that this is one of the best rim joist insulation option. It both seals nail holes and insulates the area effectively. Spray foam requires an experienced installer, but the end results are worth the effort.
- Foam board: Two-inch, foil-faced foam board insulation is another option, and it’s typically used in new construction. Once the board is cut to size and fit in place, spray foam seals gaps around the edges.
Washington Rim Joist Insulation Installers
Serving the Tacoma and the surrounding areas in Washington’s Puget Sound region, Pacific Partners Insulation South is the right company to insulate your rim joist. We complete new construction and retrofit residential and commercial projects, working with both builders and homeowners.
For your initial consultation and estimate, contact us online or call 253-267-8669.